The Montreal Blues Society is now taking registrations for the Solo/Duo category
The Montreal Blues Society will be holding the Quebec to Memphis contest again this Summer and Fall to determine which acts will represent the Society and Quebec in the Solo/Duo and Band categories in Memphis. The 34th International Blues Challenge (IBC 2018) will be held January 16-20, 2018 in the Beale Street Historic District. Blues acts sponsored by blues societies from around the world will vie for top spot at the largest gathering of blues musicians in the world.
This will be the 5th edition of Quebec to Memphis hosted by the Montreal Blues Society. Quebec acts have done extremely well in Memphis in the past, with semi-final and finalist appearances by Michael Jerome Browne and Dawn & Paul. The past two editions have been particularly fruitful with a second-place finish by the Paul DesLauriers Band in 2016, and then earlier this year a first-place finish for Dawn Tyler Watson and The Ben Racine Band.
Here is what you need to know about the Quebec to Memphis competition before you make it to Memphis!
- This year’s Quebec to Memphis edition will be open to both IBC categories: Solo/Duo and Band.
- The IBC defines a Solo/Duo act as having 1 or 2 members.
- The IBC defines a Band as having 3 (or more) members.
- The contest is open to all Quebec-based acts.
- The registration period for the Solo/Duo category is from May 17, 2017 until midnight June 14, 2017.
- The registration period and details for the Band category registration will be announced after the Solo/Duo category deadline. The Band competition will be held in October.
- Acts must be available for the local competition date, and winners must be able to travel to the IBC in Memphis, January 16-20, 2018. If you can’t make these dates, this contest isn’t for you.
- The local competition will be held Sunday afternoon, August 27, 2017, in Trois-Rivières, as part of the Trois-Rivières en Blues festival.
- A panel of independent judges will score the performances using the IBC guidelines. Each act will play for 25 minutes.
- If you are interested in registering for the Quebec to Memphis Solo/Duo challenge, complete the registration form at the bottom of this page. You then have 3 payment options for the registration fee of $25.00:
o Interac transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
o Cheque payable to the Montreal Blues Society, mailed to:
Montreal Blues Society
Attn.: Quebec to Memphis
Ile Perrot, Qc J7V 8X4
- In the event that there are an insufficient number of entries, the Montreal Blues Society reserves the right to modify or cancel the event entirely.
- The Montreal Blues Society will help defray a portion of the expenses and help the winning acts organize fundraisers to ease the financial burden. The applicants understand that they are responsible for paying their own travel, lodging, and other expenses to get to, and while in, Memphis, that are in excess of the financial assistance provided by the MBS.
- If you have any questions or require clarification about any of the points outlined above, please email email@example.com
or send a text message to 514-465-9725.